ritasell top

Monday, December 02, 2013

Collette Orji: I’m available for marriage

Collette Orji: I’m available for marriageActress, Collette Orji hit Nollywood in 2008 after she was introduced into the world of make belief by fellow actress, Stella Ukwuegbu and ever since she has continued to grow from strength to strength, carving a niche for herself as one of the faces to watch out for in Nollywood. Born and raised in Cameroon, the curvy actress and mother of one relocated to Nigeria in 2003.

Today, the star of Two Outside and Hidden Treasure runs her own NGO and her fashion business aside acting. In this interview with The Entertainer, Collette opens up on her career, her NGO and cinfesses that despite the fame and stardom, there is a vacuum in her heart as she is yet to find love.
Excerpts
How long have you been in the movie industry?
I became fully involved in acting after I graduated from school in 2008. Though I had been acting while in the university but I finally gave it my all after I graduated from school. So, I would say I have spent over six years acting professionally.
How has life as an actress been this last six years?
I couldn’t imagine myself going through life without acting. It’s something I love doing. Being an entertainer and a showbiz person has always been my dream. In fact, it gives me a lot of pleasure and I feel happy and fulfilled acting because I’m very passionate about it.
For a while you’ve been off the Rader. What’s happening?
I didn’t really take a break but I had to slow down a bit this year unlike last year when I had a lot of movie jobs. However I have been in about six movies this year and it’s because I had to take care of my business in Enugu. I run Coco House, a firm that’s into cosmetics, ladies wears and hair extensions. Besides, I recently lunched my NGO, Coco Medicare Foundation; that was in August of this year. So, I just had to slow down with the acting and concentrate on my own business. The idea is that when I’m not facing the cameras I should have something to fall back on.
Could you mention some of the movies you’ve featured in to date?
I have featured in over 49 movies. I could recall my first movies were entitled The Cat and Two Outside. I did both movies at the same time but The Cat was my first shoot. However, Two Aside was released before The Cat which was directed by Andy Amenechi; I acted alongside Jim Iyke and Ini Edo.
Which movie actually brought you to limelight?
Wow! That was Hidden Treasure where I acted alongside Ramsey Noah, Jim Iyke and Stephanie Okereke. That was the movie that announced me as an actress because it was after featuring on that particular movie that the scripts started coming and I started gaining recognition.
How has growing up in Cameroun shaped your life?
I was born and bred in Cameroun and studied there as well but I am Nigerian by birth. I grew up a tomboy; I’m the only girl among five brothers. In fact, we did things as if we were all of the same gender and I enjoyed growing up among my brothers because they treated me like an angel. Till date they see me as their little angel and I will forever appreciate all the love they shower on me. I lost my father some years ago but I thank God for the life of my mother who has been so wonderful. I appreciate her for given us the best and making life meaningful to us; I’m blessed having her as a mother. All my brothers are based abroad and they are successful in their careers.
One instance you’re in Abuja, the next minute you are in Lagos and before we sat Jackie Robinson you’re in Enugu. Where are you based?
I must admit I travel a lot. Abuja is where I live; where I have made my home though I have a rented apartment in Enugu but Abuja is where I come to rest after long weeks or months on location. However, I still stay in Enugu to oversee my business as well as my acting profession. As a consequence of my kind of job, I’m always hopping from one state to the other so there is that tendency that you’ll hardly see me in a particular state for more than six months at a stretch. And I also travel outside the country on vacation or business trips a lot.
Could you mention some of the recent movies you’ve featured in?
Wow! Some have already been released. There is Demonic Angel, Tears of Vengeance and War Against Tradition among others. I played major roles in most of these movies. ln Demonic Angel I played the role of a girl who was always unlucky with men so I had to seek for demonic powers to get men attracted to me while in War Against Tradition, I played the role of a poor girl who’s daughter to a blind woman. I acted alongside Olu Jacob, Emeka Ike and Queen Nwokoye; it was indeed a wonderful movie.
Which would you say is your favourite movie after all these years?
(Laughter) I have acted a lot of wonderful movies with good story lines but the movie I will regard as my favourite would be produced by me and it’s still in the pipeline.
Are you saying you are planning to produce a movie?
Yes. Right now it’s the only thing I think about because it’s what makes an actor really fulfilled so I want to produce my own movie.
You were nominated for An award recently. How do you feel about this?
I’m very happy. That I am nominated is a big commendation. That means people are actually watching and appreciating my good works. I appreciate the fact that they appreciate my effort in the industry and I promise my fans that they have not yet seen the best of Colette Orji. I promise to give them the best of my acting skills in my forth coming movies; they should watch out for me!
You are looking beautiful but have added weight compared to the last time we met…
I know that as well because people have been saying the same thing to me and I have also observed it. So I am working on my weight. I don’t want to grow fatter and out of shape because I adore my figure so much especially my hips. And I try not to eat too much of fatty food or do in between meals.
I was told that once a lady’s mind is at rest or she is happy, especially when she’s experiencing love, her looks are transformed. So are you in love?
I will agree with you that love brings true happiness but I am not yet in love. If you are expecting to hear from me that I’ve found love you are joking. (Laughter) For my side I no see love at all. I have so much love to share but I have not seen who to shower my love on. I am a very romantic person so I am still looking for love.
You are not telling me what I want to hear. Are you saying that with all this your beauty men are not chasing you?
Sincerely, there is no man in my life presently.  You may not believe it but that’s just the truth or do you have someone who is ready to give me genuine love?
We can understand that husbands are scarce but are you also saying that boyfriend are scarce too? I refuse to accept that from a beautiful lady like you. Or is it     that you have been so broken hearted you’ve chosen to stay off men?
Please Nkechi, don’t put words into my mouth. I am not in any relationship. Right now I’m still looking for love.

No comments:

Post a Comment